Thursday, September 20, 2007

Tired


I'm flashing back to college today. I remember times when I was so tired that I couldn't force myself to stay awake in class. Well, not just class. I couldn't stay awake during movies, even ones in movie theatres. Today, I've been in meetings straight since 8 am. And I feel like this kid...

I recently had to update my resume (though by instructions of "not job search ready") and I started to wonder how do I qualify and quantify all that I do. I mean, I feel like my life has been much fuller in the past year. This is largely due to finding greater fulfillment inside and outside of my job. But, with all that I've added to my life, sometimes it just doesn't seem like I do enough. So, here's my philosophical delimma: how do you know when you matter? I'm not looking for affirmation that I do, in fact, make a difference. I rely on my faith that my efforts are not in vain. But, in chatting with a student who's having a faith battle, I started to wonder if my question really lies in wondering if others know that I'm making a difference. Do I only impact others if it's recognized and acknowledged by them?

I can't believe that my life is all about me. It's certainly not. I just don't know how to encourage others to not grow tired and give up.

No comments: