Wednesday, February 20, 2008

kenya...to nicaragua

Over the past month I had to face the fact that going to Kenya in June was less likely. Continued violence forced our team (and church) to make the decision that we were not to go in June. This was really rough for me. I often, too often, think that nothing bad will happen to me. I mean, there's violence everywhere, everyday. Nothing is for sure. I think more in terms of faith than doubt. However, my parents seemed quite relieved to hear that the trip was postponed for a while.

So, knowing that I need to go somewhere and do some type of service, other things started to fall into place. In the same week that the Kenya decision was being made, my friend Jana called to say that she was heading to Nicaragua in May with some of our other friends. Vera Cruz, Nicaragua holds a Remar orphanage with the cutest little boys ever!

So, I've decided to go to Nicaragua from May 12-19. What's great is that the timing of this trip is perfect. It falls right after Rhodes has graduation. So, I'll get to finish my semester-ly responsibilities and then head off to Central America. I'm so pumped!

And, next Friday I leave to go to Mexico for a week to build houses. I'm excited about being able to serve and the fact that it's going to be warm. It's too cold right now.

My mom flies in tomorrow and I'm excited. Memphis is buzzing right now. We're hosting our #1 Memphis Tigers vs. the #2 Tennessee Volunteers. I'm excited because one of them will lose, which will make the UNC Tarheels move up in the polls.

No comments: