Saturday, October 4, 2008

football in the south

Prior to moving to Tennessee, I never knew that Saturday afternoon football games were an time to dress up in shirts and bowties (for men) and sundresses (for the ladies.)  See, my family was never all that enthusiastic about football.  We were a little more focused on basketball and baseball/softball.  I think things started to change when my brother played football his senior year of high school.  (We had reason to like football before that: 1. My uncle was an amazing high school football player and 2. I grew up under the shadow of the winningest football coach ever, John McKissick.)

I thought you would wear jeans and a shirt/sweatshirt that bore the colors of the team for which you were cheering. I thought you watched the game and cheered for your boys.  I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that football games were about football.

But, now, the SEC tradition of football in the South has changed the way I see Saturday afternoons in the fall.  It's not about the game; it's about the tailgate.  It's not about cheering; it's about seeing people and being seen.  It's not about winning; it's about corn hole, beer pong and who can hold the most alcohol.  Use Ole' Miss here as an example.

In other news, I took the picture below last night on the Mississippi at sunset. I think it's pretty cool.  The bridge is I-40 passing over the Mississippi River.



No comments: