Saturday, July 19, 2008

wrecked...

So, this morning, I had every intention of going for a 25 mile bike ride.  It would be my longest of the summer, to this point.  Last weekend, I did 20 miles and wanted to continue to build my long ride endurance.  I went to Shelby Farms, which provides a mixture of low traffic roads and some off road trails.  At around mile 16, I started up this brief hill.  Some new gravel had just been laid, so I move to the right to avoid most of the gravel.  As I did, my rear wheel sunk into the gravel and the bike slipped out to the left. I, however, fell to the right...right on my shoulder.

I wasn't wearing a helmet, but I didn't hit my head.  No harm, no foul there.  But, I did take most of the impact on my shoulder.  And, now, I struggle to move my right arm. (Fortunately, my fingers are still working in good order, so that I can type this blog.)  I also skinned my leg and arm a little.  But, this is not my worst bike accident.  No, that happened when I was 13 and hit a parked car.  My brother's sympathetic response to my accident today was "at least you didn't get hit by a car."  See, my brother saw me immediately after my accident when I was 13--beaten and broken.  And, he recently pointed out to me that I should consider avoiding biking.  This was my third accident in the three years that I've lived in Memphis.  And, yet, I don't plan to give up bicycling any time soon.

1 comment:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Hope you're okay!! Thinkin' about ya.