Saturday, May 10, 2008

history lesson


I'm not a scholar.  In fact, I feel that my affinity for working at a liberal arts college is a true reflection of my varying interests and hobbies.  I like a lot of different things.  I read (for pleasure) fiction, biographies, books on the philosophy of leadership and more.  I watch classic black and white movies and modern, mind-numbing comedies (Baby Mama was great.)  I see the beauty in classical music and visiting museums and find peace in taking pictures.  (The one to the right is a postcard image of Nicaragua.)

So, here's my brief and touristic version of the history of Nicaragua.  It's a poor country.  The streets in the capital city, Managua, have no names.  (And, I'm pretty sure that U2 song wasn't about Managua.)  The drinking water is contaminated--even though a company from Japan came in and built the foundation for some purification systems.  

Let's go back to the poverty.  Up until about 15-20 years ago, Nicaragua was the poorest country in the western hemisphere.  It has now lost that title to Haiti; however, the 2nd poorest isn't a prize that any country would cherish.  I think what's amazing to me is that Nicaragua receives aid from other countries, but has strange ways of distributing it to the citizens.  They make it very difficult for citizens of the US to adopt their children.  

Remar, a organization that creates orphanages in Spanish speaking countries, opened over a dozen homes in Nicaragua.  On my first trip I learned that many of the kids have parents who put them in the orphanage because they (the parents) know that their children will have a better life than they could provide for them.  Several of the kids at each orphanage don't know a family member.  What I also know is that these kids are the fortunate ones.  A shocking site are the local dumps, where families live in hollowed out cars and eat from the garbage.  It's really too much to handle.  But, I think that's what keeps me coming back.  I'm drawn here.  Nicaragua captured my heart.  Because, there's this beautiful, postcard side.  But, the smile of these kids when you give them a piece of candy is truly the breath taking experience.  Keep your postcard landscapes.  I'll take a hug from a little Nicaraguan kid any day.


1 comment:

Caleb and Adrienne said...

i like the new look of your blog!